If you are serious about protecting your business then the safeguarding of intellectual property, your brand, is one of the things you can start looking into (if you haven’t) to protect it from any legal risks in the future.
In this episode with Helen Kay, The Contracts Lawyer, we have an interesting and informative conversation regarding keeping one’s intellectual property safe specifically by registering a trademark. She clarifies to us that having a business name is different from registering a trademark as the latter is your way of securing your brand, making sure that you alone have the right to use it. She stresses on how your brand is one of your business’s most important assets, the benefits of registering your trademark, and she also guides us into the practical steps for registering a trademark, etc.
Tune in to this episode to gather this information we made available to you.
- Come and visit my website at (https://www.thesiteshed.com/)
- Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones (https://www.thesiteshed.com/podcasts/)
- Tradie Web Guys (https://www.tradiewebguys.com.au/apply)
- The Contracts Lawyer (www.thecontractslawyer.com.au)
- IP Australia (https://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/)
- Check Part 1 of this series (https://www.thesiteshed.com/blog/contracts-1/)
- Check Part 2 of this series (https://www.thesiteshed.com/blog/contracts-2/)
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- Overview of episode [4:16]
- Registering a trademark [6:09]
- The difference between the ™ and ® symbols [10:12]
- Business names and trademarks [10:51]
- Benefits of registering your trademark [11:57]
- Registering similar business names [14:23]
- Practical steps for registering a trademark
- Check if your name is trademarkable [17:19]
- Identify the goods and services your business is about [21:04]
- Search for existing trademarks [22:17]
- Two ways to apply for your trademark [22:45]
- Setting up an IP Australia Agents Register and Trademarks [23:47]
About Our Guest:
Helen Kay is a business lawyer, in fact, she is The Contracts Lawyer. She is a highly accomplished commercial and property lawyer with extensive legal experience working within top tier firms in Australia as well as running her own legal practice and heading up various commercial practices over the years.
Helen has assisted many businesses across different industry sectors with their commercial legal agreements, including commercial leases, buying and selling businesses and providing general contractual advice.
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Site Shed: You can also listen to The Site Shed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!
If you enjoyed this podcast and this series, please take 5 to leave us a review: