What does it take to grow a trades business?
Everyone desires growth. But if you’ve been in business for a while, you know that getting from point A to point B is no easy feat.
Nevertheless, it’s not impossible!
A good practice, though, once you’ve made it to a certain level of growth, would be to take a hard look at the lessons learned along the way. Gauge what worked and what didn’t work and commit to doing better.
That’s exactly what Taylor of Odyssey Landscapes shares in this podcast episode.
Taylor shares essential details on how he grew his landscaping business from a team of 1 to 15 in just five years.
He also discusses how investing in marketing and hiring a coach helped with his fast-paced growth, and the goal every business owner must have, and why learning must never stop.
If you’d like to know of the practical ways you can get your business growing, then we highly recommend you tune in to this episode today.
What’s Discussed In This Episode:
0:00 The Elevation Program
1:54 Welcome, Taylor!
4:57 Odyssey Landscapes
6:04 What does premiere mean?
7:37 Telling a better story
10:12 Investing in marketing is crucial to scaling
11:25 What encouraged Taylor to get a coach
14:01 The benefits of having a coach
16:54 Significant areas a coach helped Taylor in his business
20:03 There are aspects in business you don’t like but need to accept
22:24 Finance is what most tradies struggle with in business
29:23 A business that functions without you is a business owner’s goal
30:46 Understanding pain points in the business
34:20 Implementing what you learn takes time
38:09 Investing in and educating yourself is crucial
48:32 Delegating jobs
50:00 Measurability is essential to track and monitor
57:08 Process Taylor follows when hiring new employees
58:56 Finding skilled labour
1:06:05 The Tradie Web Guys recruitment process
About Our Guest
Taylor Lukic is the owner of Odyssey Landscapes, a successful Landscape Construction Company on the Sunshine Coast QLD. He started his business five years ago and has grown it from himself to 15 staff and has experienced the challenges of scaling a Construction business. He’s a passionate Landscaper & business owner seeking to improve the landscape industry as a whole. He’s recently started a Youtube Channel to talk about all things Landscaping.
- The Opportunity Assessment (FREE GIVEAWAY FOR A LIMITED TIME) https://tradie.wiki/grow
- Join a global community of 6000+ trade professionals https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSiteShed
- Check out Odyssey’s Landscapes’ website http://www.odysseylandscapes.com.au/
- Visit Odyssey Landscapes’ YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3W_jwB8zIY8sI-_9ycQApA
Books mentioned in this episode:
- The Pumpkin Plan https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Plan-Strategy-Remarkable-Business/dp/1591844886
- The E Myth https://amzn.to/3awaX6g
- Think and Grow Rich https://www.amazon.com/Think-Grow-Rich-Landmark-Bestseller/dp/1585424331
- Profit First https://amzn.to/37HjoKs
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Hurt-Me-Master-Your/dp/1544512287
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Site Shed: You can also listen to The Site Shed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!
If you enjoyed this podcast and this series, please take 5 to leave us a review: