Do you sometimes wonder why no matter how good a name you’ve made for yourself, you end up either plateauing or losing clients? As frustrating as getting your customers stolen sounds, it is a reality that happens to most of us. But what if I tell you there is something else you can do other than scratch your head in dismay?
In Part 5 of our ‘Protecting Your Trade Business From Legal Risk’ mini-series, Helen Kay joins us once again to discuss with us the clauses you can include in your contracts to restrain your sub-contractors from running off with your clients, why you need to do due diligence when starting your trade business, and the process of amending your existing contracts.
Don’t wait for your competitors to get their hands on your customers by tuning in to this show now!
Disclaimer: This podcast episode contains information that resonates specifically with the Australian legal system. If you are offshore and have inquiries about your market, please seek legal advice from qualified attorneys in your country or state.
- Come and visit my website at (https://www.thesiteshed.com/)
- Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones (https://www.thesiteshed.com/podcasts/)
- Join our Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSiteShed)
- Tradie Web Guys (https://www.tradiewebguys.com.au/apply)
- Check other episodes in this series Protecting Your Trade from Legal Risks with Helen Kay
What’s Discussed In This Episode:
- How your leads can get stolen [04:55]
- Do your research before committing to a business name [06:06]
- What makes social media prone to client-theft [07:16]
- The effect of having the same social media handles as another business [07:44]
- The essence of having a trademark [09:22]
- Establish an agreement with everyone in a business sense to protect your IP [12:08]
- Include restraints of trade [13:01]
- You can’t restrain your clients but you can restrain your sub-contractors [14:32]
- Preparing clauses for restraints of trade [16:15]
- How to amend a contract [18:03]
- The frequency in revisiting a contract [19:11]
- Signing contracts digitally [22:28]
- Telltale signs of an unwilling client [23:44]
- Will Helen deal with tradies without terms and conditions? [25:52]
- The essence of having an NDA [27:03]
- Protecting yourself from losing clients due to slanderous remarks [29:49]
- Contracts are your friends [31:58]
About Our Guest
Helen Kay is a business lawyer, in fact she is The Contracts Lawyer. She is a highly accomplished commercial and property lawyer with extensive legal experience working within top tier firms in Australia as well as running her own legal practice and heading up various commercial practices over the years.
Helen has assisted many businesses across different industry sectors with their commercial legal agreements, including commercial leases, buying and selling businesses and providing general contractual advice.
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Site Shed: You can also listen to The Site Shed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!
If you enjoyed this podcast and this series, please take 5 to leave us a review: