Most business owners daydream about sailing away in a yacht, bathing in the warm sunlight with that cool ocean breeze and whispering to themselves that ‘This is life!’ all while running a business in another part of the world. But while you think this is something that’s just too good to be true, think again, because it is possible.
In this week’s podcast episode, I talk with Darren McKavanagh, owner and director of The Kitchen Maker, and a living proof that working remotely for your business is never beyond your reach. We talk about the lessons he has learned throughout his career and the essential tips in order to make working remotely for your business work.
Tune in to today’s episode and learn how all this is possible!
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- Darren and The Kitchen Maker [02:15]
- Lessons learned about working remotely [03:23]
- Communication is key for your skeleton-staff [05:12]
- Managing the team remotely [05:37]
- Changes he has made within his organisation’s workflow [06:57]
- His role within the business [08:24]
- Always get back in touch with the grassroots [09:27]
- Manage your team without having to micromanage [11:01]
- Remove yourself from the business to let it grow [12:00]
- Good team relationship equals smoother workflow and better retention rate [18:39]
- The relationship between mentoring and better retention rate [19:44]
- Major changes in Darren’s business [20:56]
- Scheduling and having a roadmap is essential for any business [22:11]
- Train your managers well and they will do the job well [23:42]
- Being more hands-on with the team vs. working remotely: Darren’s choice [26:45]
- Things that Darren would do differently [29:57]
- Darren’s advice on working remotely [32:00]
- Creating a reliable system will get the business going [34:09]
About Our Guest:
Darren McKavanagh is the owner and director of The Kitchen Maker, a family business initially dedicated to supplying materials to kitchen and joinery companies. Founded in 2002, their wide array of services has then expanded to include interior designing and customizing kitchens, bedrooms, laundries, etc. Darren enjoys going on trips in his yacht and skiing.
- Come and visit my website at (https://www.thesiteshed.com/)
- Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones (https://www.thesiteshed.com/podcasts/)
- Tradie Web Guys (https://www.tradiewebguys.com.au/apply)
- Check out Darren’s company website (https://thekitchenmaker.com.au/)
- Tune in to Darren McKavanagh’s previous podcast episode
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Site Shed: You can also listen to The Site Shed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!
If you enjoyed this podcast and this series, please take 5 to leave us a review: