Isn’t it just hard to motivate yourself when you’re not even sure what kind of metrics you have to meet to achieve a certain goal? We all want our businesses to achieve greater heights. But without setting clear steps that you and your team can commit to, the journey might take you forever, if not never! So what can you do to make sure everyone plays their part in the journey towards achieving that goal?
We’ll know the answer as we reach the 3rd and final part of our “Measuring What You Manage: The Only Way to Run a Profitable Business at Scale” series with Danny Kerr. Today, we’ll talk about how you can keep you and your team accountable to ensure the growth of your business. We’ll be looking at the organisational chart and how that ties in with accountability.
If you want to accurately measure your company’s financial results, then you’ll find a lot of value and insight by listening to this episode now.
What’s Discussed in This Episode:
- Why is accountability important? [04:22]
- We all need someone to keep us accountable [07:02]
- Holding yourself and your team accountable [08:13]
- How to ask for a raise [09:39]
- By presenting career opportunities, you can retain your best talents [10:09]
- The link between the organisational structure and accountability [11:46]
- To give your team numerical goals, give them a bigger goal [13:52]
- The benefits of having an organisational structure [15:06]
- Why you need to bake your key metrics into the employee agreement [18:37]
- How to identify what key metrics to include [22:01]
- The key is to have measurable goals that have bonuses on them [24:33]
- Using tools to effectively communicate with your team [25:04]
- No big idea can be created until it’s project-managed to existence [27:14]
- The project management checklist is an ongoing work-in-progress [29:51]
- Competency models for standard operating procedures [31:13]
- Budgeting, forecasting, and accountability all need to work together [33:31]
- Companies should link their budget, org chart, and job description with each other [34:11]
- To remove yourself from the business, you need to have an org chart [35:23]
- The three faces of leadership [38:44]
About the Guest:
Danny Kerr created his own success in life by starting his own trades business and used the profits to buy his first home. By age 20, he had taken a leadership position with a franchise company and grew sales by 225% in one year. He then spent the next 6 years scaling businesses before co-founding Breakthrough Academy as a way to open horizons for other trades entrepreneurs.
Breakthrough Academy now works with over 300 contractors across the continent, managing over $900 million worth of revenue, and was rated Canada’s 16th fastest start-up by MacLean’s magazine in 2018.
- Come and visit my website at (https://www.thesiteshed.com/)
- Check my latest podcast or listen to the previous ones (https://www.thesiteshed.com/podcasts/)
- Tradie Web Guys (https://www.tradiewebguys.com.au/apply)
- Visit The Top 3 Mistakes Growing Trade Businesses Make series with Danny Kerr
- Check out the Scaling Your Business from $500k to $5 Mill series with Danny Kerr
- Watch the previous episode in the Measure What You Manage series with Danny Kerr
- Visit the Breakthrough Academy website (https://www.btacademy.com/)
- Get your free strategy sessions and resources at Breakthrough Academy using code “SITE” (https://www.btacademy.com/strategysession/)
- Reach out to Danny through his email (email@example.com)
Connect with me on LinkedIn. For more podcast episodes, you may also visit my website. Tune in and subscribe to The Site Shed: You can also listen to The Site Shed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Stitcher.
Thank you for tuning in!
If you enjoyed this podcast and this series, please take 5 to leave us a review:
No joke, Danny has left behind FOR YOU the most amazing templates, frameworks and business tools, you’ll likely ever get your hands on.
There’s cut and paste templates for hiring and job posting, there are how to videos to follow and there’s even an absolutely incredible figure tracking spreadsheet that took Danny and his team over 50 hours to create…and a video on how to use it. Amazing!
He’s also made some time in his crazy busy calendar for you to have a chat with him and his team, so you can learn how to apply those documents directly into your business. Again, for FREE.
They’ve also got loads more awesome things that they’ll be sending you, so fill in the form, grab your stuff and claim your calendar spot right now!